Sunday 16 October 2016

Next to Where He Stands, A Cove So Magnificent

 Cornwall holds a special place in my heart. I spent two summers here in 1979 and 1980 with my family. Those heady Summer days have never left my memory and it is that magnetic spiritual draw that leads me to return every time and feel what I felt the first time. A second round of visits occurred 17 years ago when I met Sarah, we visited many places then, so it is a doubly special place for us. We have visited on and off several times since. 

Our second day on The Lizard Peninsular lead us to Kynance Cove, true Poldark country.
We parked in the National Trust car park and payed a princely sum to do so. Nevertheless, the scenery was jaw dropping and I ran like a giddy school kid down to the cliff edge.

  One of the draws here and the emblem of Cornwall is the Chough. A member of the Corvid family, they are a rare bird these days. Once numerous but after a heavy decline they are making a comeback, almost ostensibly here in Cornwall and Wales. Three fledglings had made it to adulthood this year and I was told it was a good possibility of a sighting.
My first sighting however was of a Shag, similar but smaller than a Cormorant that had been fishing and was climbing from the water to dry it's wings in the early morning sun.
I was then alerted to my first Corvid, not a Chough but a Carrion Crow this time..








 We walked the main path as the tide was rising into the cove. The views into Kynance were very special. As we gazed, I heard the call of a Chough. I found it sat preening on a cliff edge and called to Sarah in excitement...my first sighting of the iconic bird. Distant but brilliant!



 It finished preening then headed out of sight along the cliffs.
Almost immediately two Raven entered the fray. One with food in it's beak, accompanied by it's mate. Their silhouettes looking distinctive against the sky.


The Chough had then returned with two others and flew about the cliff tops with Jackdaws and the Ravens. 


 The prominent long red beak unmistakable in profile...


 We had now reached the beach at Kynance Cove and stopped for cake and coffee at the excellent cafe.









 Up above as we drank in the view and the coffee, a Buzzard glided on the thermals
 I spied the Choughs again being chased by Jackdaws. Sarah decided to walk back to the car, while I ascended the cliff opposite to try to get closer shots of the Choughs.
 As I climbed I spied a late blooming knapweed. Up above I could hear the birds calling...
 I was nearing the summit and as I did so the Choughs flew into view calling loudly and without hesitation, headed across the valley to the opposite side where Sarah was just reaching the car park. My jaw was on the floor and in my head all I could hear myself say was...No, no, no, not that way...Bugger!!!
 Rather than get too despondent, I reached the very top and admired the amazing Choughless view!

 The vibrant lichen once again drew my attention


 I descended to the beach again, admiring the colours in the rocks.

 Up on the opposite side another Wheatear posed beautifully for me.



 I walked a little further and sat for a while looking south towards the Lizard village. In the distance I could make out the three Choughs heading further South. I had had a brief but uplifting view of such an inspiring bird. One day I hope to see them again.
 I took in some last views around Kynance and headed back to the car








 The Wheatear seemed to follow me home...
 ...with a Meadow Pipit this time in tow. As I looked inland I spotted a distant flock of around 80 Golden Plover but they were too far away for credible shots.
 We drove back to Cadgwith via a small nature reserve I wanted to check out. The only thing of note was a Speckled Wood Butterfly sitting on some gorse.
 There had been steady streams of migrating Red Admirals once again.  In fact it became a running joke between us as we had seen so many.

 In the car park back at base a friendly Robin liked the taste of the crumbs of our pasties...
 We walked down the path back into the village...
 The harbour was looking resplendent in the late sunshine.
 I took the chance of good weather to walk the cliff path once again to make the most of the day.
In the distance the heavy lift ship Talisman was moored offshore. This was the vessel that gave a piggy back to HMS Nottingham in 2002 from Australia after it hit rocks and became disabled.
 Nearer to me Ravens flew along the cliff face pulling some incredible manoeuvres.
 After this brief walk it was back to Cadgwith Cove Inn for another lovely paraphyletic meal of Sea Bream and Monkfish. We had one more full day to go and were determined to make the most of it....



N.B. The title of this post is taken from the poem 'Cliffs Of Cornwall' by Don Pengilly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message if you would like to do so.