Sunday 31 January 2021

There are sunny days in Winter, after all !

 



My local patch has a plethora of possibilities to see when it comes to nature. In that respect I'm very lucky, especially in days like these. I have so much choice right on the doorstep and within walking distance. 

My focus is usually on birds which is natural in itself considering their abundance and accessibility, more so in Winter as they arrive on the coast here in serious numbers but my mind is on anything that catches my eye. I didn't used to enjoy so Winter much but as I got older I love it just as much as any season. Every one has something different to offer when it comes to the natural world.

The light was quite spectacular as I began my walk from the harbour wall at Titchfield Haven with the sun just behind a bank of cloud in the East, but blue sky to the other four corners. Coupled with a millpond like sea, it was a perfect calm scene and a great time to be out for a Winter's walk.

Looking North up into the reserve where the river Meon flows steadily into the Solent, several Gadwall pottered around the still waters. The males have a lovely subtleness to their plumage and easily overlooked. 




I headed West, hugging the coastal path with the intention of walking the cliffs to Brownwich pond and beyond.
The harbour wall usually has a few Pied Wagtails picking up morsels from the path and road, Carrion Crows hang around looking for an easy meal too. Sometimes from the discarded takeaways from kids in cars and anglers that care even less.

  
As I left the road, it meets the beach chalets at Meon shore. The tide was receding so the Brent Geese and many waders took advantage of this.

Plenty of Oystercatchers with their high pitched peeping calls flew around, forever being displaced by errant dogs..












There are two routes to choose from along the coast here. Either hit the gently curving stony beach for a couple of miles or take the muddy path along the top of the cliffs at Brownwich.
The stones can play havoc with the thighs and calves for such a walk, so with wellies already attached I headed for the high rise views the cliffs afford across the Solent.
On a day such as this and without a scope, it's better for seeing what's on the sea from this elevated position with just binoculars and camera. The latter is good for identification to zoom in on after the shot is taken.
As you glance West, the old disused power station of Fawley stands like a sentinel at the entrance to Southampton Water. Slowly in the process of being demolished, this skyline icon will soon be no more, which has me with mixed emotions. Something that reminds me of such a wonderful place since childhood but a contributor to our current climate crisis on the other, so in a way it's good it has been decommissioned. Still I'll be kind of sad to see the chimney go. Although the oil refinery next to it is still in working order, I definitely won't be so sad once that disappears. Although the smell, if the wind is in the right direction, has a real nostalgic scent to it, but ultimately one I could do without.
The path upon the cliffs has almost unbroken shrubbery lining the way. Mixture of hawthorn, blackthorn, field maple and ivy amongst many others. The seaward side foliage is curved and naturally cropped through the constant battering of the prevailing winds. On the opposite side of the path the bushes are protected from the weather.
It's here that I came across a small flock of Long Tailed Tits. Quite awkward to capture with so many twigs and branches in the way, but better than when they are in leaf. I managed to grab a few half decent shots after much patience.
It's always good to look in detail at these small flocks, as some other species can tag along with them. Sometimes rare such as a Yellow Browed Warbler. None of those on this day but I did manage to spot a Goldcrest in among them.   




I lost the flock in the depth of the blackthorns, so continued through the muddy puddles.

Further along I found a pair of Reed Buntings flitting around the Blackthorns. First the female.. 
Then the male in it's subdued Winter plumage. The bare twigs giving a lovely framing.
Every so often there's a break in the bushes that opens up to expansive views of the Solent.

East looks towards our home and further to Portsmouth around the corner with the tip of the Isle of Wight to the right.
And West looking across Southampton Water and Fawley oil refinery. Notice the wind shaped bushes. You definitely don't need a weatherman to tell you which way the wind blows here..

It was at this point I left the coast path and headed inland towards Brownwich pond. 
Although bright and sunny, it was still below freezing and in the shade the frost still lay untouched.
I love cold mornings like this.
Especially with the Winter light bringing the best out of a subject, most notably those with colour.

After passing such an obliging Robin I could here the doleful call of a Bullfinch. A bird in sharp contrast to the Robin's behaviour and one I've struggled to get a decent shot of in the past due to their reticence. 
One thing I have in my armoury is the ability to mimic it's simple tuneless call which can bring them in closer occasionally and did on this occasion. Well, certainly enough for me to fire off a few shots before it disappeared.
For a bird so simple of call, it's hard to believe that in Victorian times people used to capture and cage them. They are great mimics and can sing all manner of beautiful songs when trained. They were also persecuted due to their ability to devour buds of flowering orchards. Something we don't have to worry about anymore as their numbers have crashed. Plus they are now a protected species. 
Always wonderful to see and on such a beautiful day too. 



My excursion up to the pond was partly due to a Mandarin Duck having been seen in the few days previously.
No joy on this day however, just distant Tufted Duck, Swans, Coot and some Mallard.

Nevermind, it does switch between here and another pond locally, so I'll try another day.
Time was on my side however, so I kept plodding Westwards.
I looped on a footpath heading North, following an oak treeline. 
Up above I could here the 'twitching' calls of a Nuthatch - my first of the year - so I stopped for a cuppa and took some shots of it as it fed around the high canopy, never coming down too low but a nice tea break watching it perform around my head nonetheless. 






After my much needed refreshment, I completed the northerly loop and rejoined the coastal path.
Just as I did so, I spotted a distant raptor perched on some curved frames which turned out to be disused poly tunnels. By it's short tail I knew it to be a Buzzard. They have a habit of sitting around and waiting for a meal to arrive rather than waste too much energy on the wing, unless they are riding thermals.
I love the juxtaposition of nature set against a backdrop of industry in this shot. Namely, Fawley oil refinery on the opposite shore of Southampton Water. 

Having reached Solent Breezes holiday park at Hook I went in search of that elusive Little Owl that I've only ever seen once there.
On the way there a Blue Tit fed from the leafless branches, picking off seemingly invisible bugs and buds. On the tips of a few, there were the very early signs of Spring. 

The pylon line is always a place to look out for birds using them as a perch and through my binoculars I could make out a tiny anomaly. Can you see it?

I took a photo and zoomed in. I was right, It was a Peregrine Falcon
And to prove that fact, it hopped out onto the angled girders before zipping off in search of prey.
They can often be seen here. Great vantage points in an area full of potential food. 
No Owl as usual so I hit the beach and wandered up to the Meander Pools just before Warsash.

Three male and one female Pochard were there, diving for food on the freshwater lake.
Also Snipe lining the edges fast asleep.
The field adjacent to the shore usually hold a few hundred Brent Geese that love to graze on the fresh grass but get disturbed occasionally. I've seen Foxes patrol this area so no doubt one was on the prowl looking for a well fed goose for lunch. Always a spectacular sight as they rise up en masse. Their low barking calls are a real treat in the Winter months.
Come March into April, they will begin heading back North to their breeding grounds in Siberia.







Rather than trudge along the stones up to the sluice gates at Warsash for potential Bearded Reedlings that we saw at the beginning of January, I decided it was time to head back. It was gone 2pm and would take me a couple of hours to get home.

The road through Hook has several horse fields which was where I found some Jays in search of their favourite food - acorns.




Quite beautiful birds and for once I got a brief glimpse of one with it's crest raised, albeit a little hidden by the twigs.




The long and winding road.. 
The path back towards Brownwich pond has some great Winter scenes. As I mentioned at the beginning of this blog, I love all seasons and for so many different reasons. Winter trees being one of them. Being able to see their amazing shapes without the leaves on is something I really appreciate.


And so it was back to the cliff path as the sun was starting to set.

Despite the lockdown, the Red Funnel ferries still ply their trade from Southampton to Cowes.


The cloud shapes in Winter are another thing that I love in the season and the ones across the Isle of Wight were quite spectacular as I reached Titchfield Haven, completing my loop and the end of a refreshing walk. In total I clocked ten miles.
The sun lowered and the shadows lengthened, almost touching duck bay in the reserve.
The sun was about to disappear behind the thick bank of cloud and so it was time for me to disappear home too.
A fantastic walk from dawn to dusk.
The title of this post is a quote taken from the poem 'Sunny Days in Winter' by Denis Florence MacCarthy which is well worth reading here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message if you would like to do so.