Tuesday 4 September 2018

Thou Spark of Life That Wavest Wings of Gold

It's was the middle of Summer and what a heatwave we were having.
Being one who revels in all things Lepidoptera amongst all in nature, this sort of weather is perfect for them, so their prosperity in these conditions can only be a bonus, especially as their decline is all too well documented. Although too hot can be a real problem, even for them, as their food plants and nectar sources can shrivel and die far too early.

This is a story of my 'Patch' over two weekends.
Rather than descend into too much narrative as I am disposed to do at times. I thought a picture post with less words was in order for once. It also helps me catch up with with so many walks and photos in my days out and about. I wish I was retired !
So I'll keep it fairly simple and let the photos do most of the talking...

Day 1: South Browndown Heathland, down the end of my road  :

Shingle shoreland interspersed with low growing shrubs, trees and heather. Perfect for Adders and nesting birds but Butterflies were on my list today...

Large Skippers feeding on Scabious and Knapweed .. 





Cinnebar Moth caterpillars on Ragwort...


Purple Hairstreak Butterflies colonising stunted Oaks. Normally they are found high up in normal mature trees and out of reach of a decent view. They are unique to the area to be found so low to the ground.




       




An example of the stunted Oaks. They may be small but their ages can be deceptive.





Small Heath butterflies proliferate in the grasses.

Day 2 : North Browndown.

I left home and just couldn't resist the Swifts playing and fighting around the nest spaces in my next door neighbour's roof tops on my way towards my destination...




The House Sparrows were looking to add to their own nests inbetween the shenanigans of the Swifts. 

Last year the builders were insulating the outside of my neighbours's house. I negotiated with them to leave space for the returning birds. Thank goodness I did as they happily nested back in their home.
Back on Browndown but on the North heathland this time and a new set of wonderful species.

A Small White first off on a Verbena Bonariensis in a local front garden near to the heath entrance gate...

One of my favourites and increasingly rare. A Small Copper...







Another Skipper. this time a rarer Essex Skipper with notable jet black tips to the antennae.

The honeysuckle was in full bloom around the heathland.
The Heather was declining and a very small colony of Silver Studded Blues could be found with a little exploration. Such a treat to find. They number in the thousands in the New Forest so to find them here on my doorstep was a joy, plus I didn't have to venture too far. There are gems right on our doorstep...






Grayling are another Butterfly rarity and thrive around these parts. A few were around in the heat of the day in the low grasses and heather. They like to keep a low profile...





I tried to obtain an opened winged shot of a Silver Studded as they are so beautiful. They proved elusive...



Gatekeepers or Hedge Browns were showing well too.
The Small Coppers kept appearing.
As did more single numbers of Silver Studdeds'. Some in better condition to the others.



The Small Copper sat beautifully before me in the grass.




On the edge of the woodland a Holly Blue sat high in the Oaks...
But ultimately, the Silver Studded stole the show..
Two weekends of Butterfly heaven in perfect conditions. Simple pleasures that bring joy to the heart.

The title of this post is a line taken from the poem 'Ode to a Butterfly' by Thomas Wentworth Higginson
https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/ode-to-a-butterfly-2/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message if you would like to do so.