Thursday 8 September 2016

I Will Be the Gladdest Thing , Under the Sun!

It was midweek and I had finished work by lunchtime. I could easily have carried on with another job but sometimes I hear the call of Nature and I cannot resist. It's good to disconnect from everyday life and go walkabout every now and then. I try not to let it make me feel like I am playing truant.
 I had wanted to walk Old Winchester Hill for ages. The last time must have been ten years ago. The hill is classic chalk downland and contains an old Iron Age Fort which has an abundance of wild flowers. It has an amazing vista. Views to the South take in The Isle Of Wight, The Solent, West Sussex and West Hampshire.
 I'd had word from a friend that Silver Spotted Skippers and Clouded Yellow Butterflies had been seen here in the past few days. After my failure on Broughton Down a few days ago, I had a score to settle..! 
 The days are drawing in and many Butterfly species are beginning to fade. A male (above) Common Blue and female (below) were feeding on the Wild Thyme. Both looking a little jaded.
 Round Headed Rampion are a speciality here. A common species on the South Downs.
At this time of year Meadow Browns develop a slow, almost drunken flight as though they are staggering home after a beer too many down the local. This one has a Trombidium Mite attached. They alight when the Butterflies visit flowers. Studies have shown they have no effect on the lifespan or flight of their hosts.
 I followed the path to the hill fort and towards the southern slopes. The best place to find my quarry. 
 The Fort has a ditch below and the southern side is the best for flowers and butterflies feeding on them. A couple of Small Tortoiseshell showed very well here.

 And a Painted Lady also.


 The harvested fields below had a great texture to them.
 Devils Bit Scabious were everywhere too, such a pretty flower
 Below the Fort was a short cropped field. Perfect habitat for the Silver Spotted Skipper. Although it was a brisk wind and a little cool I managed to find several specimens at last.


They fly low when disturbed and don't go too far which is handy when trying to photograph them.
The Greater Knapweed is still in full bloom and a good nectar source.
The flowers that have gone to seed are now providing sustenance for many bird species. A flock of 80 or so Goldfinch flew around me the whole time I was there. A mixture of juveniles and adults.

The young have yet to develop the striking red  and black heads.

.

Wild Thyme
I took some last views through the wild flower meadow looking south. Not the perfect summers day but some amazing sights across Southern England. To the East, Sussex basked in sunshine, to the West it was cloudy and with a brisk wind, I was sat directly in the middle.
I had found the Skipper but drew a blank on the Clouded Yellow, but still an inspiring and spiritual place to visit. I hope to return a little sooner than before.





The title of this post is an excerpt from the poem 'Afternoon on a Hill' by Edna St.Vincent Millay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message if you would like to do so.